Years ago I attended several Christian Men’s Network (CMN) events let by Edwin Louis Cole. I first heard Dr Cole speak at a Promise Keepers event. His book Maximized Manhood had a powerful effect on the Men’s movement.
One item that came out of CMN was 9 Keys to Effective Prayer. Below is from a link I found of the list put out by his son Paul.
9 Effective Keys to Productive Prayer
1. CONFESS ALL KNOWN SIN FROM YOUR LIFE. Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear. I Jn 1:8,9 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
2. ADMIT NEED OF THE HOLY SPIRIT TO DIRECT YOUR PRAYER. Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
3. DIE TO YOUR OWN IMAGINATIONS, DESIRES, BURDENS. Proverbs 3:5 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Isaiah 55:8,9 8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”
4. ASK GOD TO FILL YOU WITH HIS HOLY SPIRIT. Ephesians 5:17-20 17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
5. PRAISE GOD IN FAITH FOR THE PRAYER TIME YOU ARE ENTERING. Psalm 100:4,5 4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. 5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.
6. DEAL AGGRESSIVELY WITH THE ENEMY. James 4:7,8 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
7. WAIT EXPECTANTLY FOR WHAT GOD BRINGS TO YOUR MIND. John 10:27,28 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
8. CONFIRM PRAYER WITH THE WORD. Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
9. PRAISE GOD FOR HIS MARVELOUS WORK IN YOUR LIFE. Romans 11:36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. Psalm 92:1,2 1 It is good to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; 2 To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night
These are some favorite scriptures relating to prayer…
Philippians 4:6,7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when you pray… *24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. *24 That’s why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large.
Deuteronomy 20:1-4 1 When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you. 2 When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come forward and address the army. 3 He shall say: “Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be terrified or give way to panic before them. 4 For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.”
Paul L. Cole President CMN Worldwide
So as you consider prayer, consider these 9 keys and how they may impact your prayer.